Monday, October 15, 2012

A Pumpkin A Week #1 | Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

In an attempt to bring a bit of my favorite season (autumn!) to the equator, I have endeavored to try out a new pumpkin recipe each week. A few things I have learned already:

1) How to puree a pumpkin. Canned pumpkin is called for in most pumpkin recipies but is non-existent over here. On the bright side, it's rather therapudic to chop a pumpkin into pieces! To puree a pumpkin: cut, clean and slice a pumpkin into chunks; bake 45 minutes on med-high heat or until tender; puree.

2) How to prepare spices. Some varieties of spices are readily available in jars. Nutmeg and cloves are not. Through this process, I have learned that nutmeg should be shaved on a cheese grater and cloves look like flowers (which should be ground with the aide of a mortar & pestle)


Needless to say, my kitchen smelled awesome before I even got started baking! My first recipe was for pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. I got the recipe from here. They looked like they were supposed to but were a bit bland for what I was expecting. I decided this was due to the watery quality that most pumpkins here possess. I do have to say that they became much more flavorful a couple days later though! I would give this recipe a 6/10. One recipe down, seven to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment